1. The modern '=' (equalls) sign was invented by Robert Recorde in 1557. Robert Recorde was born in Tenby, Wales during 1512.
2. A Welshman named Richard Trevithick created a locomotive which made its maiden journey on the 21st of February 1804 - 25 years before the maiden hourney of Stevenson's Rocket. The loco managed to haul 10 tons of iron some 9.75 miles.
3. There is a Yew tree in Conwy belivied to be four to five thousand years old, making it one of the oldest living organisms on Earth. It can be found at St Dygain's Church at Llangernyw.
4. We make more money in Wales that the rest of the UK put together. This is only because the Royal Mint is based at Llantrisant in Wales.
5. Wales was one of the first countries to commecially can beer. The Felinfoel Brewery in Llanelli first started putting beer in cans during 1931 and they still produce beer in cans today.