Back to our Wales Guide...
There are a total of 176 golf courses in Wales. 49 in North Wales, 25 in Mid Wales, 18 in west Wales and lastly 83 in south Wales.
- The Royal Porth Cawl - south Wales is an 18 whole links course, a seaside course with spectacular sea views and cross winds to test you. Tiger Woods has also played at this course in 1995 during the Walker cup.
- Royal St Davids - Ffestiniog Club - Gwynedd is a 9 whole course surrounded by mountains a lovely setting. But not a champions course, with its rustic location, slopes, gorse and water holes to make your game that little harder. The course was founded in 1893 so if you fancy something challenging this is the one.
- There is an 18 whole links course at Aberdovey - Mid Wales, founded in 1892. A traditional classic seaside course with huge sand dunes and sea views and of course the sea breeze, actually set alongside the beach. It has been known that Ian Woosnum has practiced here.
- Pennard - Swansea - South Wales links course has 18 holes a cliff top position with amazing views of Swansea. The course was founded in 1896. Many an amateur tournament has been played here. This course does hold itself amongst the top courses.
- Everyone has heard of Celtic Manor for the Ryder cup, based in Newport - South Wales. It has 18 holes set in parkland with lakes on a 1400 acre resort with two hotels. So really a Golfers dream holiday resort.
- Conwy in North Wales is an 18 whole links course. Founded in 1890. It overlooks the Conwy estuary, surrounded by mountains. A mixed course with flat and gorse areas. It was voted club of the year in 2007.
- Nefyn and District - Gwynedd - North Wales is an 18 hole cliff top course on the Llyn Peninsula. The 12th hole onwards are set on a cliff tops with amazing sea views, but howling winds. Even if you lose your match the memory you will hold will be of this stunning setting.
- Tenby - Pembrokeshire - South West Wales is the oldest 18 whole links course founded in 1888. Set between the sea and the railway line with a gentle rolling course, fast tees and slopes overlooking Carmarthen Bay, sea views and a sea breeze. A well visited course for those on holiday.
- Machynys Peninsula - Carmarthenshire - has 18 holes set amongst lakes of fresh and salt water a truly spectacular setting. It's a champion links course and has miles of drainage pipes to stop this course from becoming water logged because of its unique setting. The son of famous golf player Jack Nicklaus has overseen the construction of this course.
- Newport Links in North Pembrokeshire - Fine views over Newport Bay accompany this 18 hole coastal links course, try the first hole during a howling south westerly if you fancy a challenge!
These are just a few of the courses in Wales - there are many more to play and enjoy the amazing locations and to test your ability with the terrain, enjoy.
A selection of Holiday Cottages in Wales